OhioAnts Forum
Carissa

Spring is coming!

Greetings, fellow antlovers! Soring is on its way, and I've already seen some action from the winter ants' (Prenolepis imparis) nest in my backyard. I'd love to know what everyone's goals are for antkeeping or studying this year! Personally, I'm hoping to catch a queen or two and I'm planning on digging up a colony of wood ants that my dad has been looking to get rid of, since they would just be destroyed otherwise. I'd love to catch enough queens to sell a couple, especially as I'm going into college this fall and could use a little extra funds. I'm also going to try and map out all the colonies in our yard, marking them on a printed-out satellite image (in theory). Last year, I did a bit of a census, and found over seven species in our yard! I wasn't able to positively identify all of them, but I know there were Prenolepis imparisTapinoma sessileMyrmica americana, and Monomorium minimum

So, anyone want to share their ant plans for the year? Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

I'll be doing an experiment with a large number of Camponotus nearcticus queens with a few other members on here. I'm hoping to get some parasitic Formica queens started this year, but my biggest goal is to catch a Camponotus americanus queen. You should join the Ohio antkeeping discord, it's way more active than our forum. Here's a link: https://discord.gg/MyqbK8g

That sounds super cool! I hope you get your queens, especially the Camp. Thanks for the tip, Lukeisneuer!

No problem, I saw you joined. My screen name is Mad Biologist. If you want to be updated on when people are talking, just turn on notifications.