OhioAnts Forum
Carissa

Favorite Ants

Does anyone have a favorite ant species (exotic or native) that would be their greatest antkeeping dream come true?

Mine is Carebara castanea because the dimorphism between the queen and workers!

800px-Carebara_castanea_Q-w_dimorphism_Peeters.jpg

Yes I actually do have both a favorite native species and a favorite exotic species. 

Native: Solenopsis molesta, I just cant get enough of the large colonies and explosive growth (for native species)
IMGL0462.thumb.jpg.3f59772cc4ce55a55374a1e3afbaa286.jpg

Exotic: Daceton boltoni, I just love the shape of their head and the fact that they dont suck to keep unlike most other odd looking/shaped ants. Their colonies get relatively large, as do their workers. queens are upwards of 23mm, I hear they are up to 29mm while their larger workers are up to about 22mm (smaller workers are like 4-6mm)
Image result for Daceton boltoni

• Like 1

My favorite native species is Camponotus americanus, and camponotus are my favorite in general.

My favorite exotic species is Dorymyrmex gigas, just because of how large they get, but in reality, if I had to pick I wouldn't be able to to just because there are so many cool species.

If you want plenty of antkeeping info from experienced keepers, you should join the Ohio ants discord here: https://discord.gg/MyqbK8g

350px-Camponotus_americanus_queen,_Groton,_Massachusetts_(Tom_Murray).jpg

AH-Giant-Forest-Ant-Camponotus-gigas-Borneo-2374-e1500659095399.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite native species would be Trachymyrmex Occidentalis, although it’s extremely rare. Next would probably be pheidole for the fast growth and polymorphism 

• Like 2