OhioAnts Forum
Dork (Dayton)

Finding Pheidole

I'm re-posting here cause Discord Main gets buried FAST ...

My son, Narien, is a senior and for his Spring Break he wanted to drive to FL and look at subtropical ants.  So we did.  It was a blast.  But we learned some helpful stuff about Pheidole.  There are a TON down there so we saw dozens and dozens of colonies.  The mounds look almost exactly like all the Lasius mounds you see but they are a bit larger and higher.  BUT ... the Lasius almost always have groups of mounds with many entrances and the Pheidole ALWAYS had a single entrance.  Also, when disturbed, the Lasius usually don;t even respond.  But move one grain on the Pheidole mound and you get majors in seconds.  Thus endeth my entire knowledge on this genus.  But that should help those trying to ID colonies prior to July.

• Like 2

a good note to add is that pheidole in the northern us prefer to live in wood as well and yes they are very defensive they like their fortifications XD i have found 2 colonies so far nesting in wood and none in the dirt

thanks

Forest

• Thanks 1

I happen to have a Pheidole nest in my front yard. The major workers are absolutely enormous (only in comparison to the minor workers) with their big, heart-shaped heads! They are in very sandy, pale colored soil; and the ants themselves are very reddish in color, especially the majors.

Edited by Carissa
forgot some important information!

I WILL COME CAMP ON YOUR LAWN FOR THE MONTH OF JULY IF THAT WILL GET ME A PHEIDOLE QUEEN. 

*Ahem*

I mean... that's awesome! Let us know if you have any luck capturing some Queens! Also, could you take some pictures of them? Like the colony entrance and the workers with some kind of size comparison like a coin or something? Thanks!

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 12:46 PM, Orbyx said:

I WILL COME CAMP ON YOUR LAWN FOR THE MONTH OF JULY IF THAT WILL GET ME A PHEIDOLE QUEEN. 

*Ahem*

I mean... that's awesome! Let us know if you have any luck capturing some Queens! Also, could you take some pictures of them? Like the colony entrance and the workers with some kind of size comparison like a coin or something? Thanks!

Don't you already have one!